My major crafting project over the Christmas holidays and the first part of January has been a very special baby quilt for a very special little boy. Some friends of ours are expecting their second child, a little boy, and I set out to create a custom quilt for their nursery. When I asked Kristen what she was planning on for the nursery, she told me blue, tangerine, and monsters. She had found some awesome monster print fabric and was designing the room around that fabric. Armed with a picture of the fabric and her color scheme, I started planning.
I started with a modern stripped quilt design and incorporated appliquéd monster blocks into the design. What I came up with is an entirely original and custom design just for Kristen and Kylan’s special little man. Using Pintrest and some quilting blogs, I brainstormed for ideas before drawing out and designing the quilt from scratch. I dragged Mr. Tux with me to Jo-Ann’s fabric shopping – my argument for him being there was since it was his co-worker, Mr. Tux had to give input. Honestly, I really just needed him to bounce fabric prints off. I knew exactly what I wanted from the quilt imagined in my head.
The quilt was based on a crib quilt size of 40″x60″ with a 1/4″ seam allowance. The quilt top is constructed of cotton fabrics with a soft flannel backing to give it an extra cuddly side. While I was doing all my shopping for quilt fabrics and Tuxley’s Christmas blankets, I also happened across awesome flannel prints I couldn’t say no to. The end result is that Kristen and Kylan not only ended up with a finished crib quilt, but they also got two blue and tangerine chevron receiving blankets, one monster print receiving blanket, and one extra burp rag from leftover quilt backing. On top of that, I had enough fabric leftover from the quilt and in my flannel stash to make a matching doll quilt and blanket for big sister. By the time I was finished, Mr. Tux was ready to give everything to them and have me stop creating things. I can’t help that one of my strongest love languages is gifts, yes, I probably did go a bit overboard. But I had SO much fun doing it.
Adorable monster fabric!
Ironing. There was lots and lots and lots of ironing
One finished doll quilt
custom name appliqué instead of a monster on the doll quilt
Another picture of the finished doll quilt
I used the same backing as brother’s monster quilt
The finished doll quilt and blanket
My pile of finished items is growing
the receiving blankets…I posted about making them here
the first blue monster
the first orange monster
blue monster number two
orange monster number two
the third and final blue monster
the last and final orange monster
The first look at what the finished quilt top will look like
the quilt backing worked perfectly with the top
One completed monster quilt with monster receiving blanket and burp cloth
my completed pile of stuff
The whole and complete layout for the baby!
An up-close picture of all the goodies
I am thrilled with how everything worked!
The quilt is so bold and bright! I just love it!
I hope they like everything….One last picture of the finished quilt. It turned out almost exactly like it was supposed to. The things that didn’t work will always be the quilter’s secret.
Stay tuned for another post revealing Kristen and Kylan’s amazing monster nursery and how the quilt fit into its new home.